Monday, June 9, 2008

The Layover Legend Is Confirmed!

Well folks after 6 years of flying at _____ Airlines I FINALLY have confirmed that the famous Naked Twister game does truly exist. (I know what your thinking and ITS NOT by participating!)

I was on a layover recently and all sitting down at the hotel restaurant when my first officer leans over and points out a younger male flight attendant. He leans over and starts to tell me what a celebrity this guy is. He tells me the guys name is Nick Shannon and that for years he has been formulating the “perfect layover” parties. Nick is based out of a FL base of ours and I had never heard of him. Our F/O (First officer) seems almost traumatized that I didn’t realize who this guy was. He proceeds to tell me how he will always make sure all of the airline crews hang together on a layover…initiate room-parties and brings a few games to make sure these parties will go down in Layover History. Sure enough Nick was working one table to the next and before long 4 different crews of 5 were now all sitting together as Nick joined all the tables. Nick was for sure a nice guy and obviously trying to make the most of his time away from home.

I start to interrogate our FO about what “games” this guy has. The FO said “NAKED TWISTER..DUH!” Oh Ding Ding - A light when off in my head and I responded “OH THAT’S THE GUY??” Sure enough I had heard of Nick and the wild stories that follow him! He is a ____ Airlines Layover Legend!

Soon after the bar closed all the crews went up to his room for the after party. I must say I’m not a fan of “room parties.” RARELY do I attend. If they are at a pool or some other venue …I’m game - but not a big fan of the hotel room party. I can’t imagine much good coming from a hotel room party at 3AM so I use good judgment there and always try to make a polite exit.

So anyways I must get a glimpse of the famous Twister so I follow the 20 other crew members upstairs to this party. Sure enough Nick had music, adult drinks and before anyone could say anything he pulls out the twister game! He apparently has his own rules on how to play the _____ Airlines version of the game and of course it involves losing clothing on each turn. Ugh. Sounds incredibly malevolent to me. After you play the game you are allowed to sign the board. There are hundreds of crew member signatures (pilots and flight attendants). Some are dumb enough to put their employee numbers and others can only think to write the obvious “What Was I Thinking…Capt Dave”. I scanned over the board and found only one person I knew that had played ….and that had owned up to it. I snapped this picture and called it a night.




Just think somewhere out there in the middle of America the captain of your flight for tomorrow may just have spun “Red, Right Hand” Which means he will now be completely exposed completely drunk and completely out of his mind. Who knows where that Right Hand will end up on the twister board… Lets just hope its steady for tomorrows flight!

(Ok I just re-read that last paragraph and it totally grosses me out. Sorry if you are experiencing a mental image like the one I have. In fact - To get that random captain playing naked twister thought out of your mind I’m going to send you to probably the best music site ever. www.myspace.com/tinaecmusic this girl is unlike anything else. Please listen to her song about her home state Missouri and also her re-makes of some pop songs. Plus her videos are a class act. Now that my friend is some good entertainment! Thank me later)

(Ok one more disclaimer as far as pilots/crew drinking goes - I honestly must say they are VERY strict about their drinking hours and it is followed impeccably. I would never fly with anyone who seemed the least bit still intoxicated (or for an airline where it was a common practice). These party-goers at night usually have almost 20 hours before they have to fly!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW THAT GUY! I see you have changed his name for obvious reasons! He carries that game around on all layovers!

Your right he is a legend!

Anonymous said...

i'm totally a voyeur. i won't participate, but i sure would watch!

Anonymous said...

I was in that base for 2 years, but it doesn't ring a bell. Obviously, he flies night trips and I fly morning trips. I never see ANYTHING like this! My base is boring :(

Anonymous said...

What is this guy's deal? I totally invented strip twister in college! ;) No really though. That's so funny...maybe I need to be working pm's.

Hannah

Ritch in Love said...

That's whatcha get on a pm trip! ;) Girl, love the blog! It's really funny!

Anonymous said...

What in the world!!!! I was crazy, but never did I see or participate in this! Never heard of it. Ummm...you didn't happen to see someone's name on it that I'm REAL close to, did ya??? haha...